Skip to main content

Self-Discipline: How to be The Master of Your Life!



 "You can never conquer the mountain. You can only conquer yourself!" -Jim Whittaker

I've been blank for a few days now. You know, that feeling that you can't put a finger on what's going on in your life. I've been making mental to-do lists, but still, some things are left undone at the end of the day. 

But this morning, I realized that it takes more than creating to-do lists to get things done. 

Self-discipline. It's you I'm talking about. The ability to control your emotions, actions, and feelings. The ability to push yourself, to follow through despite the discomfort.


Self-discipline is the inherent ability for self-control. 

If you want to achieve anything, Big or Small. It starts with self-discipline. From waking up five minutes earlier to financial success. It all starts with discipline. Without it, we are no better than the average Joe mark-timing in life wishing for some sort of miracle to start living big. 

Discipline separates successful people from failures. Here are 15 daily habits of the rich and successful.

So how do you master self-discipline in your life?

It's not easy, guys! If there's one thing that people struggle with, it's consistency.

Why?

Everyone's level of control is shaped by their mental state, upbringing, and current circumstances. So, don't feel like you are to blame for losing a grip on things in your life.

Listen.

Self-discipline is like a muscle. The more you develop it, the stronger it becomes. 

See,

You can start from nothing and still be able to rip the rewards of self-discipline. But only if you start today. 

So, how do you go about it?

Start with One Goal.


Baby steps, people. Don't try to change everything by writing a list of big goals to achieve in one month. Start with one goal. Gather every motivation muscle in your body and start working on that goal.

For example,

Say you want to save a thousand bob every week. It's something you've wanted to do for some time now, but still, you can't nail down your expenses to find out where the money is going. 

To achieve this goal, 

  • You need to keep a finance diary. 
  • Log in your expenses for one week
  • Then go back and identify the money wasters like maybe you eat out five out of seven days. This is a clear indication that eating out is a money waster. 
  • After identifying the money waster, cut that expense and add that money to what you want to save. At the end of the second week, you'll easily save a thousand bob. 

Self-discipline is what will keep you saving the third week, fourth, and so forth.

If you can master one goal, other goals will be easier to achieve. 

Find your Motivation 

Without a reason why, you will soon go back to old habits. Motivation keeps us from falling behind. If you don't know why you are saving, you will soon start eating out because you've not defined what to do with your saving money. 

Remind yourself why you started. It's going to be challenging. Visualize yourself as having achieved, and you will be in control. 

If it helps, practice positiveaffirmations.


In the case of saving, try saying;

  • I deserve a prosperous life.
  • My finances don't scare me; I have a plan
  • Money does not control me; I control money. 

Know your Weaknesses

Truth is, 

Discipline comes with knowing your weaknesses. 

Know what will make you slip. If you are looking to save but always pass by a 'nyamchom' joint, you'll always be tempted to go in. 

But once you've pictured your weaknesses before they happen, it's easy to make conscious decisions to avoid slip-ups. 

Find Your Hero


It's easy not to follow through when you are not accountable to anyone. And that's where we mess up!

You need to tell someone about your plans. Find someone that you admire. It could be a friend, parent, partner, etc. You are less likely to cheat on your plans when someone, especially one you admire, is watching. 

Before you go,

There are going to be struggles and slip-ups. But it's no reason to declare you are a complete failure in self-discipline. 

Know that the reward for self-discipline is something beyond your wildest imagination. If you've never kept at something long enough to see results, Now is the time to apply self-discipline towards that goal.

The most beautiful gems emerge from the dirt. But only when you learn to delay gratification!

 

 

Comments

  1. It's not the easiest thing to do. But self-discipline comes with financial success, health, good relationships, and a general feeling of self-worth. Anyone can achieve self-discipline. Start working on it today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cry Today, Smile Tomorrow!

Today I woke up feeling unfulfilled. That feeling that you've been going around in circles and not doing anything really.  Ever looked in the mirror and hoped that you would just snap out of it? But instead, you are overwhelmed by a sense of helplessness wishing to be someone else?  That was me today! But then I looked around me. My son had just woken up. He's 1.5 so he's got excess energy causing through his veins. He looks up at me and says something incoherent and I answer back, "Yes, baby, feeling hungry?" That's basically how my day starts. Making breakfast for everyone, then sitting in my desk and typing away my day.  I reach for my phone. All I see are reminders to pay debts, I've not made my hair in I don't know how long. And it's not that I'm not making any money.  I just went back to creating content for other people's blogs. But content writers are bottom of the chain on the internet. That's why I decided that Today I'm g...

Stress: How to Deal with It!

Stress: How to Deal with It! Picture yourself sitting in traffic. You watch as the minutes roll by, and soon it's 8.05 o'clock. You are late for an important meeting. You sit impatiently tapping on your thigh, debating the distance to your destination and whether you can make it on foot. Your body's anxiety levels rise. You become impatient, your heart rate increases, and you are overwhelmed by immense tension. While this situation is an immediate cause of stress, some undergo stressful situations daily. I am talking about constant feelings of pressure, anxiety, anger, frustration, or nervous breakdowns.  You can experience stress in short bursts or it can be chronic which takes a toll on your body.  In this post, I give you helpful tips on how to manage stress. And if you're struggling with self-discipline, here's how to start.  But First,  What is Stress? Stress is a natural reaction to a situation. Both mentally and physically, you feel threatened or an...